August 28, 2011

Myth-making

"The value of a myth is that it takes the things we know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. The child enjoys his cold meat (otherwise dull to him) by pretending it is buffalo, just killed with his bow and arrow. And the child is wise. The real meat comes to him more savoury for having been dipped in a story; you might say that only then is it the real meat. If you are tired of the real landscape, look at it in a mirror. By putting bread, gold, horse, apple, or the very roads into a myth, we do not retreat from reality: we rediscover it." C.S. Lewis
I have been very drawn to myth making lately- Paradise Lost, Ballet Shoes [by Noel Streatfeild], Harry Potter. What does it mean to leave a mark on the world; what does it mean not to be forgotten when one dies? It makes me nervous, this knowledge that what I'm filling my life up with now may end up being so insignificant, that I'll only remain a self onto myself and pass through here cleanly. /This idea of myth-creation, of a rediscovery of the old- Berkeley now sometimes feels painfully familiar, like these streets and landmarks and restaurants (you know where my heart lies, haha) have become staid, musty home. But coming back again, and again, remembering the layers of students that have poured through this place- it just reminds me over and over again how very privileged I am to be here right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment