January 31, 2012

Poem: Tonight No Poetry will Serve, by Adrienne Rich

Tonight No Poetry Will Serve
Adrienne Rich

Saw you walking barefoot
taking a long look
at the new moon's eyelid

later spread
sleep-fallen, naked in your dark hair
asleep but not oblivious
of the unslept unsleeping
elsewhere

Tonight I think
no poetry
will serve

Syntax of rendition:

verb pilots the plane
adverb modifies action

verb force-feeds noun
submerges the subject
noun is choking
verb disgraced goes on doing

now diagram the sentence

--
Today, so many happy things:
1. We discussed Saussure in Literary Theory. Words cannot express how much my brain loves this class- grappling with all these crazy concepts and feeling just a little out of my depth and like the meanings of ideas and words are just a little out of reach. I think this is what consultants call "stretch"
2. Sitting in my S3 meeting and being so very excited about this project. Today we did up a team contract and one of my team mates talked about making a commitment to each other to "be present and be prepared," which I think is one of the most well-put statements I've heard about team dynamics and meetings. It is so awful to be a listless meeting where no one really contributes, and it is so refreshing to be in a team which is so committed to this endeavour and providing a kick-ass deliverable.
3. It is so easy to make me happy- I'm discovering some really good music on Spotify radio, which I will be sharing on a revival of Thursday Music!
I feel like the happy list is very at odds with the poem, but that was how I felt last night, when I was extremely upset about something. Thank God for friends who care, and who walk you through tangled messes of feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment