March 14, 2012

After eating this meal, you will be as nutritiously virtuous as I am now

One of the things I'm really trying to do is to cut down on extraneous expenditure and focus on eating healthily (looks guiltily at the McNuggets I had just last week). I actually do really like cooking, when it's just for me and there isn't anyone I could potentially poison or kill through my food. Going to the grocery store, dreaming up ways to easily/ sneakily get vegetables into my meals, doing the actual chopping and cooking... the only thing I hate is the washing up.

Presenting: the healthiest meal you will ever eat in college.

This has it all! Salmon, mushrooms, kale- and if you wanted to make it healthier you could even use whole wheat pasta instead of the $1 box of pasta I got from Safeway yesterday!


Ingredients
2 oz. smoked salmon, thinly sliced
2 stalks of kale, roughly chopped
2 largish mushrooms, sliced
1 shallot, diced
1 garlic, diced
Pasta (I used mini penne- they are so cute)
1 tablespoon pesto
1/2 tablespoon crispy prawn chili
Olive oil

Basically chop everything up while the pasta is cooking away. Heat up some olive oil in the pan and start by cooking the garlic, onions, and mushrooms. When the pasta is done, put it in the pan and throw in the smoked salmon. Stir everything around with the pesto and crispy chili, and then add in the kale. At this point I also added some water just to move everything around.

This cost me under $5 to make (seriously), and it was so healthy and delicious I just had to share. Recipe adapted from the delicious meal that Cat cooked for me in London- obviously, adapt as you please. I used 2 oz. of salmon because that was half of the packet, but also because I am cheap and smoked salmon is expensive here. For pasta, I usually pour it onto a plate before throwing it into the pot so I can gauge the amount. And I don't think crispy prawn chili is available in the US (seriously... why), but I'm sure regular chili flakes would work as well.

Let me know if you try it! Agh so good.

Also, Berkeley when it is raining is the most awful place to be in. This rain just makes me want to huddle indoors and never leave the comfort of my warm squishy bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment