April 30, 2012

Two ways: leopard print dress

leopard dress
Polyvore set here

Over Winter break I went a little crazy when I was at Zara in Spain and bought a leopard print dress that I have absolutely no idea what to do with now (the dress is not unlike the one featured here, except that it has long sleeves and an elasticized waist). I wore it for TBG banquet yesterday (picture here; ignore Jeff), but I need ways to wear it on regular days without people mistaking me for a wild cat.

For Sunday Brunch
I chose to go classy-- so no heels, no red, no crazy patterns. Kept everything extremely subdued in black (I love the Coach bag and the J Crew flats featured here; I'm actually very very close to purchasing those same flats because they are obscenely comfortable) leather. The pearl earrings featured here are vintage Chanel (a girl can dream), but many high street stores sell variations.
Make-up wise, I'm thinking a bright red lip, hair in a fishtail braid, and some black Rayban Wayfarers.

For Casual Friday at Work
I am obsessed with these shoes and wanted to work the mustard tones into the outfit. I anchored the floaty/ overly patterned dress with a somewhat structured boyfriend blazer and a gorgeous chocolate brown bag from Chloe -- I wanted something that had significant weight but would also play off the dark browns in the dress. Accessorizes with a chunky bracelet-watch in dark brown with some tribal/ wooden bead detailing.
Neutral makeup with lots of mascara and hair half-up-half-down.

I am a big fan of leopard print in small doses (flats, scarf), but I think the way to make leopard print work as a full piece is to be conscious of never veering into "party" territory. I ultimately bought the dress because:
- It fit so beautifully with a classic cut
- It had long sleeves and a knee-length skirt
- The print was brown/ black enough that it could be conceivably passed off as fairly neutral.

I'm really stepping out of my comfort zone here! But it's a little exciting; thinking about my internship is making me more conscious about what I wear and what kinds of clothes I purchase-- I bought my first pair of heels (in a very, very long time) on Saturday. They're these perfect taupe, patent leather Ferragamo kitten heels with an ankle strap. Just a great Spring/ Summer shoe, and I'm super excited to wear them out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment