June 28, 2012

5 thoughts that are somewhat artistic in nature

Today I:
1. Nearly fainted on the subway to work
2. Grouched my way through hundreds of pictures of fur coats (people, multiple, pay over $24,000 for a coat. I cannot fathom it.)
3. Got the hugest, sweetest shock of my life when my co-workers surprised me with birthday cupcakes

4. Fell in love with poetry again with this poem:

Rules for Arcadia
David Kutz-Marks

Treat people as though
each were a small whorl of leaves.

As if there were a forge inside,
man with bellows and hammer

eking out shields
to quilt the condemned shack of somebody’s body he lives in.

As though by the time they swing from rusted hooks,
they are themselves gilt green

 by the green world’s breathing.

--
The final lines remind me so much of The Great Gatsby, and that freshness and cleanness of green. Such a gorgeous image!

5. Speaking of images, had my breath taken away by these:


Aren't they phenomenal? They remind me of Tim Walker's photography (my favourite photographer) but more grounded in reality (I think it's the colours), more rooted in the reality of fairytales in the here and now. She created them after her mother passed away, and I think that this:

"This escapism grew into the concept of creating an unexplained storybook without words, dedicated to her [my mother], that would echo the fragments of the fairytales she read to me constantly as a child."

Is the most beautiful purpose and way of commemorating a loved one.

Images by Kirsty Mitchell via Daily Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment